We recently received news from Riese & Müller that unfortunately, due to Bosch battery supply shortages, some DualBattery electric bike models will be delivered with only one battery. Second batteries will be delivered to all customers affected as soon as supply is available.
This won’t affect all models of Riese & Müller bikes and here at EDEMO we have put some contingency plans in place to help with the delay.
Which Riese & Müller bikes will this affect?
The battery supply issue with Bosch is related directly to the 625Wh vertical and horizontal Powertube used in the DualBattery version of the Superdelite, Supercharger and Homage. This is a global supply issue caused by the shortage of microprocessor chips used in the batteries, which is impacting many other manufacturing industries across the world.
Riese and Müller have now made the decision to ship DualBattery bikes with only one battery until supply eases.
If you have ordered any of the above three Riese & Müller models, your bike could potentially be shipped with one battery. R&M will ship the additional battery a later date – unfortunately, they haven’t been able to confirm exactly when that will be. Some suggestions are they will appear within the month, others suggest we may not see them until June.
We are doing our best to get hold of batteries for those customers who already have a bike on order from us. We have a back-order placed with Bosch and will take batteries from our unsold stock bikes to ensure we get you the bike you have ordered. We are confident this will fill the orders we have in hand.
Do you want to order a Riese & Müller bike?
For those of you looking to place an order for a DualBattery bike, we would suggest considering the following options:
- Firstly, if you actually need the second battery. Quite a few people will over-specify their bike. On a 625Wh I would happily travel 60 miles on the road – this reduces slightly to 30-40 miles off-road. Is this enough for the trips you are planning? If so, buy the single battery version and put the cash you save towards staying in a B&B on your next few trips, or purchase a 6A fast charger for quick recharges whilst having a coffee break.
- If you think this isn’t going to cut it for you, get on and order the DualBattery bike. We will hold back the charge of £770 for the second battery, until the battery is ready for shipping. In the background we will continue to chase our suppliers for stock and if this comes in before those from Riese and Müller we will send these to you. You should be up and running for the summer.
- If it has to be a DualBattery bike or nothing, then maybe consider the Charger3 or Nevo. The second battery they have is either a power pack or rack-mounted version which there is currently no shortage of.
- The last option could be to consider something like the Multicharger GT 750 Touring or Vario. This has the new Bosch 750Wh battery and should give you a bit of extra range 🙂
- The Superdelite has one 500Wh battery in the top tube and a 625Wh battery in the downtube. R&M will be sending us the bike with the 500Wh top tube battery only. In place of the 625Wh downtube battery, there will be a transport cover (blanking plate) supplied at no charge.
- Superchargers come with either two 500Wh batteries or two 625Wh batteries. One of these will be left of the bike and replaced with the transport cover. The batteries are interchangeable, so you could mount it in either the top tube or down tube.
- The DualBattery Homage is designed with a 625Wh battery mounted either side of the downtube. This bike will be shipped with a single battery and a transport cover.
HS or High-Speed models will not be effected. You could order one of these but be aware these are not legal on UK roads unless you register the with DVLA and you have to follow the requirements as if you were riding a motorbike.
How will this affect my order from EDEMO?
This alteration to the order has been made by Riese & Müller to avoid any delay in the shipping of your bike. If we were to wait for all the batteries to come in, we might be waiting another 3 months for a bike that can be sent into the wild now.
It’s not perfect, but I personally would be happier getting out on my bike rather than knowing it was sitting in the factory waiting for a second battery!
Will my forecast delivery date change?
When you factory order your bike from EDEMO Electric Bikes we forecast a delivery date for you based on the latest information provided by Riese & Müller. Once the factory order is placed we share the R&M tracking code with you. This provides you with the latest forecast on the expected arrival of your bike with us.
In some instances, this can move both backwards or forwards. But 95% of the time this forecast is accurate. And if we get any update of a delay from the factory we do our best to let you know immediately.
If for any reason you are unhappy with the delay and you wish to cancel your order, you just need to let us know. We will refund your deposit in full. But we hope it never gets to this.